I’m thrilled to announce that novelist, editor and short story author Katie Fforde is to be the H.E. Bates Short Story 2011 Competition judge.
- Write us a short story on the subject of your choice.
- The competition is open to all writers.
- Entries must be no longer than 2000 words in length.
- 1st Prize £150; 2nd Prize £100; 3rd Prize £50
- Special prize for the best story written by a Northamptonshire writer £50 (not awarded if the story has won 1st, 2nd or 3rd Prize)
- In addition, a prize of £50 will be awarded for the best story by a writer who is under 18 years old on the closing date for entries.
- The entry fee is £4 for each story submitted – or £1 for each story submitted by an Under 18 writer. Entrants are invited to submit as many stories as they wish.
- The judging panel will comprise members of the Northampton Writers’ Group.
- We are delighted to announce that Katie Fforde will be the Head Judge. Katie is the author of the best-selling books Summer Of Love, A Perfect Proposal, Living Dangerously, and much else.
- Closing date for entries is Thursday 1st December 2011.
- Prizes will be awarded at a prize giving ceremony in the new year. Date and venue to be announced.
I have to say (well, I don’t have to but I’m being kind) that one of the stories I read last year didn’t have a beginning or end (only a middle) so lost points for that (I start at 10 and work downwards). Nick, our competition organiser, let it go through to the panel which I wouldn’t have done as to me it wasn’t a short story so he’s clearly even kinder than me. 🙂
So there you have it! I belong to Northampton Writers’ Group (so, yes, I’ll be one of the panelists reading your stories (Nick gets them first and removes the names so they’re totally anonymous)) – you can listen to one of my red pen podcasts to hear me being firm but fair – so if you have any question feel free to email me.
The Northampton Writers’ Group (critique group) meets every other Thursday night in central Northampton, England – email me if you’re local and are interested in joining.