Up to now I’ve been doing red pen critique for my podcast (of novel extracts and short stories <3,000 words, see Podcast ‘Red Pen’ Episodes) and only putting a summary on the blog but I always find that having something written down is easier to follow than listening, especially if you want to make notes, so the red pen podcast is no more but will live on in this format… on the Red Pen Critique page.
So I’m going to be replaying the red pen critique sessions (the full script, not just the summary) on the blog at 5pm daily until I’ve caught up, dates below, then put up new ones out every Sunday night whenever I get them in (details at the end of how to apply). Sunday nights will also be Novel Nights In from 2013.
Critique: I’m firm but fair and of course you don’t have to agree with me, but I hope the feedback will help you, especially if you’re the author of that work. 🙂
Red Pen Critique to-date…
- The first ‘red pen’ session episode was released on Monday 8th August 2011 featuring a 325-word flash fiction entitled ‘Green’ by San Francisco-based writer and musician J D Mader and the podcast is available via the links at the top of this page (and in the ‘Where to find me’ side menu) with a summary here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback was blogged here.
- The second ‘red pen’ session episode was released on Monday 22nd August featuring a 1,591-word short story from Aneesa – the summary was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Monday 3rd December 2012.
- The third ‘red pen’ session episode was released on Monday 5th September and featured a novel extract from crime writer Lae Monie. A summary of the podcast episode was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Tuesday 4th December 2012.
- The fourth ‘red pen’ session episode was released on Saturday 17th September (two days early due to my mother’s 80th birthday being on the Monday!) and featured a 883-word short story entitled The Sow’s Ear by J D Mader. A summary of the podcast was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Wednesday 5th December 2012.
- Aneesa returned for episode no.5 which was released on Monday 10th October and featured a story called ‘You are my reasons’ -– the summary was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Thursday 6th December 2012.
- Episode no.6, released on Monday 24th October, was an extract from forthcoming novel ‘Firebound’ provided by teacher and writer Kathryn Wild – the summary of which was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Friday 7th December 2012.
- Episode no.7, released on Sunday 6th November, featured a short story by Aaron entitled ‘On the edge’ – the summary was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Saturday 8th December 2012.
- Episode no.8, released Sunday 27th November, was another novel extract by crime writer Lae Monie – the summary was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Sunday 9th December 2012.
- Episode no.9, released Wednesday 28th December – was my critique of a short extract from The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp – the summary was posted here and you can listen to the episode here. Full feedback to be blogged 5pm Monday 10th December 2012.
- Red Pen no.10 will be my critique of a short story from Aaron (see episode no.7) entitled ‘Circles’ – Sunday 16th December 2012.
- Red Pen no.11 will be my critique of a synopsis & extract from Lianne Simon’s novel Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite – Sunday 23rd December 2012.
If you’d like your work (novel extracts or short stories up to c.3,000 words) considered for appraisal here on the blog, do email me. I will also critique longer pieces for a fee, see here. I also review short stories (<3,000 words) on this blog’s Short Story Saturdays page and if you would like feedback on your full works-in-progress or finished books (for free) from a fellow writer and / or reader, take a look at this blog’s Feedback page.
Note: I am English so will edit based on UK English rather than US English although correct US spellings / wordings will remain unaltered. You can email me at email@example.com.
** NEW!! You can now subscribe to this blog on your Kindle / Kindle app!
or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E88JN0 for outside the UK **
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internet, view my Books (including my debut novel!) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do, and a feature called ‘Short Story Saturdays’ where I review stories of up to 2,500 words. Alternatively if you have a short story or self-contained novel extract / short chapter (ideally up to 1000 words) that you’d like critiqued and don’t mind me posting it online in my new Red Pen Critique Sunday night posts then do email me. They are fortnightly episodes, usually released on Sundays, interweaving the recordings between the red pen sessions with the hints & tips episodes. I am now also looking for flash fiction (<1000 words) for Flash Fiction Fridays and poetry for Post-weekend Poetry.