Complementing my interviews, today’s Author Spotlight, the three hundred and sixth, is of multi-genre author and interviewee Dale Mayer. If you would like to take part in an author spotlight, take a look at author-spotlights.
Besides her romantic suspense / thrillers, Dale also writes paranormal romance and crossover young adult books in different genres.
To go with her fiction, she writes nonfiction in many different fields with books available on resume writing, companion gardening and the US mortgage system.
She has recently published her Career Essentials Series.
All her books are available in print and digital format and her latest book, Knock Knock (pictured below) is out today, 5th August!
And now from the author herself:
Hi everyone. Authenticity is important when I write. I want the readers to feel and see what I see in my mind. And my mind is a wild and wacky place to describe!
The only problem with authenticity is when I write paranormal stories – such as my Psychic Vision series, or my Vampire Series. It’s not like I can cross over to the ethers and give you all an accurate description of life on the other side [Or can I? ;)] But one way or another, I have to make the reader believe that the characters can. That can be challenging.
In my Family Blood Ties, there is a whole paranormal world building to consider. It’s a dystopian story where vampires and humans co-exist peacefully – at least on the surface. But in the Psychic Visions series, these characters live in our contemporary world. As this is fiction, I can invent some stuff, but I can also draw on the many different paranormal studies that have been done, and are continuing to be done around the world.
And some of that material is fascinating. Consider some of the great psychics in history like Edgar Cayce, Nostradamus, Lydia Clar, Elizabeth Baron and of course John Edward. These are just a few of many – some well known and some that prefer to say hidden.
The issue isn’t whether you believe these people can do what they say they can do, but that they raise that wonderful question – can they do these things?
Because it’s that question that is so important to my fiction.
I don’t need my readers to believe in the paranormal, but they need to be willing to suspend their beliefs and take a journey into the paranormal through my books.
There are so many different paranormal or psychic abilities to work with. A few examples include:
- Clairaudience: is the ability to hear things that are normally inaudible to others.
- Clairempathy: is the ability to feel emotions from beyond natural realms.
- Divine Intervention: Spontaneous spiritual visions that can guide and direct the seer.
- Empath: A psychic empath – or sensitive – takes on other people’s feelings of pain or pleasure, actually feeling the emotions of others.
- Energetic Healing: A psychic ability to clear, repair and balance the body’s energy systems by seeing and manipulating the aura.
- Lucid Dreaming: The ability to wake up inside a dream and experience an alternate reality.
- Medium: A psychic who connects with spirits of people who have died and sometimes with entities such as angels.
Part of the fascination readers have with my series is that eternal – What if…?
I doubt I’ll run out of ideas for this series any time soon, because like my readers… this field is fascinating. And what a writer can do with a little bit of fact is… well… amazing! 🙂
To find out more about Dale and her books, visit her at http://www.dalemayer.com. Or connect with her online with Twitter at www.twitter.com/dalemayer and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dalemayer.author. Books by Dale Mayer:
- Tuesday’s Child
- Hide’n Go Seek
- Maddy’s Floor
- Garden of Sorrow
- Knock, knock… (out today, 5th August!)
Single Title Romantic Suspense/thrillers
- Touched by Death – out now!
- Haunted by Death – (Fall 2013)
- It’s a Dog’s Life- romantic comedy
Bound and Determined
- Unbound – out now
- Undone – Fall 2013
Young Adult Books
- In Cassie’s Corner
- Gem Stone Mystery Series- out now!
- Dangerous Designs – Book I
- Deadly Designs – Book 2 – out now!
- Deceptive Designs – summer 2012
- Vampire in Denial – Book I of Blood Ties
- Vampire in Distress – Book 2!
- Vampire in Design – out now!
- Vampire InDecision – coming soon!
- Career Essentials: The Resume
- Career Essentials: The Cover Letter
- Career Essentials: The Interview
- Career Essentials: 3 in 1
You can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything. You can contact me and find me on the internet, view my Books (including my debut novel The Serial Dater’s Shopping List, various short story collections and writer’s block workbooks) and I also have a blog creation / maintenance service especially for, but not limited to, writers. If you like this blog, you can help me keep it running by donating and choose an optional free eBook.
For writers / readers willing to give feedback and / or writers wanting feedback, take a look at this blog’s Feedback page.
As I post an interview a day (amongst other things) I can’t unfortunately review books but I have a list of those who do. If there’s anything you’d like to take part in, take a look at Opportunities on this blog.
I welcome items for critique for the online writing groups listed below:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
We look forward to reading your comments.