BEACONLIT’s COMPETITION YEAR 4 IS NOW OPEN
(year 3 RESULTS HERE)
The yearly BeaconLit Festival is running its fourth 500-word (maximum) charity fundraising* competition in collaboration with judge Gareth Davies.
With everything going on, we’re still hoping to bring you the festival on 10th July 2021 but should it not take place then the competition results will be announced, and top 3 stories published as planned, on these BeaconLit websites.
How it works:
- There is a monthly deadline (see below) for entries, with the top three stories (from three different authors) from each month going through to the following May’s shortlist (of 30 entries), from which a final ten are picked (see ‘Prizes’ below).
- You can enter (via the form below) as often as you like whenever you like but if you all enter in the final month (May, the tenth / final round), you’ll have more competition. It doesn’t make any difference which month you enter because you won’t know who else is submitting that month. If you submit in August and you’re not in the top three then you could enter again (with a different story) in September (or any other month). You can enter as often as you like whenever you like. Do enter more than once as it gives you a better chance of going through to the shortlist.
- If you are selected in a particular month, do keep entering because the best ten overall stories will be chosen to receive prizes. No author can win more than one prize so if an author has more than one story in the top 30 then the best story from that author will be selected with the eleventh story / author then being ‘promoted’.
- If you are unsuccessful, i.e. not in the top three each month, then you still have the story to send elsewhere and you’ll only have to wait until the following month (detailed below) to find out.
- If you are in the top three, then you will have to wait until the final results are announced on 11th July on the blog / website shortly thereafter. You can still of course mention your placement when submitting something else elsewhere.
- We’re hoping that the next will be on 10th July 2021. These results will be announced, and top 3 stories published as planned, there and on the BeaconLit websites.
- Judge: Gareth Davies is the judge for each round and the final shortlist judging. His decision is final. 🙂
- *NB. Every penny profit goes to BeaconLit libraries so please do support this competition!
Deadlines / themes:
Round 1: First deadline: 31st August (theme = Five a Day), results announced here. Round 2: Second deadline: 30th September (theme = When September Ends), results announced here. Round 3: Third deadline: 31st October (theme = The Terror Next Door), results announced here. Round 4: Fourth deadline: 30th November (theme = Autumn Leaves), results announced here. Round 5: Fifth deadline: 31st December (theme = The Fake Santa), results announced here. Round 6: Sixth deadline: 31st January 2021 (theme = A New Me), results announced here. Round 7: Seventh deadline: 28th February (theme = Better To Have Loved And Lost), results announced here.
- Round 8: Eighth deadline: 31st March (theme = The Insider), results announced here.
- Round 9: Ninth deadline: 30th April (theme = No Fool Like A…), results announced here.
- Round 10: Tenth and final deadline: 31st May (theme = Last Chance), results announced here.
- Next year, the final judging will then take place in June and the ten winners (see ‘Prizes’ below) announced late June/mid July on this website, and top 3 stories published as planned here and on the BeaconLit websites.
For further details, see the https://beaconlitblog.wordpress.com/500-word-competition page.