*** The competition is currently on hold. ***
The Northampton Literature Group used to a yearly Poetry Competition but it is on hold for the foreseeable. They then ran a 500-word max. Flash Fiction Competition instead for 2013 and 2014 is the second year… with me, Morgen Bailey, as Head Judge but is also on hold due to funding. This is how it went…
The writing group did the first round judging (with a selection of the stories per person, depending on number of entries) and I read them all (regardless of number of entries, I’m a glutton for punishment!).
Brenda, our Competition Secretary, received the entries and forwarded to the group / myself, allocating numbers to each entry. She then collated the scores and the three winners were announced here, and their stories published in full on the NLG website. Only Brenda knew the authors’ names ensuring complete impartiality.
The rules were:
- 500 words maximum (excluding title). Stories of longer length will be excluded with no refunds given.
- Closing date: midnight 30th June (UK time). Entries received after this time will not be included and monies paid will not be refunded.
- There is no theme. The authors can therefore write on any topic or use any genre of fiction.
- Stories must be written in English only and not have been previously published (in print or online), won an award or be currently entered in another competition.
- Your name must not appear on any story but on the email only (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Initial judging by Northampton Literature Group Writing Circle. Head Judge: Morgen Bailey.
- Do not send any entry correspondence directly to the Head Judge.
- Copyright remains with the author but by entering this competition you give your approval to being published should you be in the top three.
- Entry fees will be: £2 per story, £5 for three stories, payable online by PayPal (link on the NLG entry form page). If you would like individual feedback on your story (received after the results are announced) from Morgen, include another £2 per story and indicate on your entry that you are seeking critique.
- Prizes: £50, £35, £15 and seven unpaid Highly Commended.
- In the event of a tie, the Head Judge’s decision is final.
- The top three winning stories will be published in full on the NLG website and https://morgenbailey.wordpress.com, together with the names / titles of the seven highly commended.
No entries to me please, but you can contact me if you have any general queries.