Northamptonshire Writing Courses
*** Seven online courses now available (many more to follow)
with five currently half price and two FREE!!***
I teach four different topics for Northamptonshire County Council’s Adult Learning Department at various venues around Northamptonshire, England. These are:
- creative writing – beginners (Saturday course) – links below
- techniques of creative writing (Saturday and 5-week courses) – links below
- blogging for beginners (Saturday course) – links below
- eBooking (Saturday course) – link will be below when available
If you are local (or are not but can’t get to them) and are interested, do email me or complete the form at the end of the page. The courses are listed below (and I shall be bringing them all online in the next few months). I have been teaching writing groups around Northampton since 2005 so it’s especially exciting to bring my skills to a wider audience.
The Saturday courses are one-offs per term with some repeated within the same academic year. You can book them via NCC’s website: HERE for the creative writing courses, HERE for Blogging. I will post a link for the next eBooking course when it’s available. You can also call the council on 0300 126 1000 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm (charged as a local rate call). Each Saturday course is 6-hour (10am to 4pm) are currently c. £50 (more where food is provided), bookable via the Council’s website (links also on each course title in the tables below).
PLEASE NOTE: There is a maximum places of 16 for the creative writing (12 at Towcester) and 12 for the IT courses with a minimum number of students (six) required for each course to run, with the decision (by NCC) made three weeks before the course starts, so please do book early. If you have any queries before booking, please do email me.
I have been writing (and studying) for ten years, have written 400+ short stories (mostly flash fiction), seven novels (will be doing my eighth this November for NaNoWriMo), some poetry and non-fiction writing-related articles. See Morgen With An ‘E’ and Books: mine for more details. I am also a freelance editor.
The courses, venues and dates are below but first a little about each course. Every course I run will have handouts so you wouldn’t spend time worrying that you’ll miss something or get distracted writing every word down. So, without further ado, here are the details:
- Creative Writing – Beginners*: Identify different writing styles, techniques, genres and forms; including novels, short stories, flash fiction, poetry, scriptwriting, monologues, dialogues, and non-fiction. Writing tips, advice on editing etc. Produce a short piece in a style and form of the student’s choosing. Review own work and that of others with a critical eye. What to do next; publication, competitions etc. Advice of ongoing support including online and in-person writing groups.
- Techniques of Creative Writing: To develop learners’ existing writing and enhance different styles of creativity with a view to expanding their repertoire, with encouragement for group participation and to produce new pieces. a) Identify and develop different writing styles, techniques, genres and forms. b) Develop an existing work-in-progress and / or start new projects. c) Identify the elements needed to fine-tune flash fiction, short stories, novels, poetry and non-fiction. d) Review own work and that of others with a critical eye (including group participation). e) Distinguish different submission and publication opportunities, and what to do next.
- Blogging for Beginners*: An overview of some of the available blog sites including WordPress, Blogger / Blogspot, Weebly, Google Sites, Tumblr – free and payable options. Identify different blogging techniques (finding the right site for you) and applying content within the social networks (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest etc). Design your site, create new posts / website pages, and answer reader comments.
- eBooking for Beginners*: Design your eBook text format and cover. Learn how to upload your eBook on to Amazon and Smashwords (including iTunes, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, Nook, Sony Reader). Price and promote your eBook including Amazon’s KDP Select Program and on the social networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest etc). Tax issues for UK-based authors. Options for self-publishing your book in paperback format.
All courses are taught with a practical approach encouraging learners (students) to take notes, practice new skills, ask questions and explore the topic. Group work and discussion encouraged. Handouts distributed. If you have any queries or need more information, please complete the form at the end of this page, or you can email me if you have any queries or need more information.
The courses for the 2017/8 term are (the links will take you to the relevant course information / booking page):
|Course title||Start||Day||Location/ area|
|Spring Term (remaining courses):|
|Blogging for Beginners||17/03/18||Sat day||Northampton|
|Techniques of Creative Writing (5 weeks)||18/04/18||Wed eve||Northampton|
|Creative Writing – Beginners||21/04/18||Sat day||Wellingborough|
|Techniques of Creative Writing (5 weeks)||06/06/18||Wed eve||Northampton|
|Techniques of Creative Writing||09/06/18||Sat day||Corby|