Just for a bit of fun, below are some light-reliefs:
Hover your mouse over the white area surrounding the fish (i.e. not within their ‘tank’) and see them move;
Want to know what your writing style is like… or rather, who? Paste a short text into http://iwl.me and they’ll tell you. I tried it twice and apparently I write in the style of Cory Doctorow and Agatha Christie. :)
Herewith a list of (some controversial) wonderful phrases that remind us how weird and wonderful the English language is. Thanks to Pat Archer for these (no.19 took me a minute too):
- One tequila, two tequila, three tequila…… Floor.
- Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
- If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
- I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, “where’s the self-help section?” she said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
- What if there were no hypothetical questions?
- If a deaf child signs swear words, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
- If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
- Is there another word for synonym?
- Where do forest rangers go to “get away from it all”?
- What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
- If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
- Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
- Why do they lock gas station toilets? Are they afraid someone will break in and clean them?
- If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
- Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
- If the police arrest a mute, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
- Why do they put braille on the drive-through bank machines?
- One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.
- Does the little mermaid wear an algebra? (Pat said, “this one took me a minute”)
- Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
- How is it possible to have a civil war?
- If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest drown too?
- If you ate both pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry?
- If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
- Whose cruel idea was it for the word ‘lisp’ to have ‘s’ in it?
- Why are hemorrhoids called “hemorrhoids” instead of “assteroids”
- Why is it called tourist season if we can’t shoot them?
- Why is there an expiry date on sour cream?
- If you spin an oriental man in a circle three times, does he become disoriented?
- Can an atheist get insurance against acts of god?
- Why do shops have signs, ‘guide dogs only'; the dogs can’t read and their owners are blind?
Below is a literary Word Search (which I blogged here on 31st March 2012 to celebrate this site’s first anniversary).
There are 37 children’s authors here: some surname only, some first name, some both (as separate words or together). Some of the authors have also written (and are best known for) adult stories but they have all written children’s. It would be too easy to give you the names to find so I haven’t… have fun. :)
And finally, nothing to do with writing but fun nonetheless, put the fingertips of your predominant hand (right for most of us) on to its nearest shoulder (again, right for most of us). Put a stack of coins (try with one to start with, I don’t think I’ve ever got past a dozen) then thrust your arm out swiftly to see if you can catch the coin(s). It takes some practicing but is fun. :)