The Northampton Literature Group usually runs a yearly Poetry Competition but it is on hold for 2013 (the details for their 2012 poetry comp can be found here).
They are however running a flash fiction competition this year instead… with me as Head Judge!
The writing group will do the first round judging (with a selection of the stories per person, depending on number of entries) and I shall read them all (regardless of number of entries, I’m a glutton for punishment!).
Brenda, our Competition Secretary, will receive the entries and forward to the group / myself. She will then collate the scores and the three winners will be announced here, and their stories being published in full on the NLG website. Only Brenda will know the authors’ names ensuring complete impartiality.
We’re still finalising the details but this is what I can tell you:
- 500 words maximum (excluding title). Stories of longer length will be excluded.
- Closing date: midnight Sunday 30th June (UK time).
- There is no theme. The authors can therefore write on any topic or use any genre of fiction.
- Stories must be written in English only and not have been previously published, won an award or be currently entered in another competition. NB. Published is in print and online in any format.
- Your name must not appear on any story but on the email only (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Copyright remains with the author.
- Entry fees will be: £2 per story, £5 for three stories, payable online via PayPal (details t.b.a.).
- Prizes: £75, £35, £15.
- In the event of a tie, the Head Judge’s decision is final.
- The top three winning stories will be published in full on the NLG website.
- Terms also detailed on http://www.northamptonliteraturegroup.org.uk/flashfiction.html.
I will update this page shortly but Contact me if you have any queries.