Online writing groups for non-fiction, short stories, novels, poetry and scripts – see below…
As I walked my dog around the park on Sunday 6th January 2013, the idea came to me of setting up an online short story writing group, as an extension of critique I give on this blog.
I’ve set up a Feedback section on this blog, but that’s just a list of readers / writers willing / offering to provide feedback and they then go off and talk amongst themselves (hopefully!). But I know from my Red Pen Critique slot, how useful open critique is to other writers. Hence, Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group was born, and while I was designing it, Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group formed in my brain.
I post your stories or poems on the relevant home page (when I have them) at the weekends then list them within the relevant genre / form headings for readers to enjoy and let you know what they thought (positively / constructively). It will be fiction prose and poetry only, sorry non-fiction authors. In the week, I post four 15-minute writing prompts a day to get you writing!
For the short story site, there’s no lower word count limit so if you have a 50-word story you’re burning to share then feel free to send it to me. Because of my existing workload (stupidly busy) I am asking for a 5,000-word upper limit but much more than that and it strays into novelette territory anyway.
For the poetry site, there’s no lower line limit so if you have a haiku you’re burning to share then feel free to send it to me. Because of my existing workload (stupidly busy) I am asking for a 50-line upper limit so email me first if your poem goes over that.
There’ll be no payment for the stories or poems put on these blogs because it’s all about feedback. They will also count as being published so bear this in mind when planning to submit to competitions etc.
Each story or poem can carry below it a 250-word max third-person biography of the author, one contact link (e.g. their website), one photograph of themselves (if they wish to include one) and / or a cover of their latest (or favourite) book (if they have one).
NEW!! There’s now Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group for critique of novel extracts, Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group for script extracts and for nonfiction, Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group.
Each group has its own Facebook group:
- Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/544072635605445)
- Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/388850977875934)
- Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/335526669896374)
- Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/508696639153189)
- Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/319941328108017)
Each new posting is advertised on my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr and Yahoo profiles so it is a chance for extra traffic to your website too.
There are also two extra sections on each blog, just for visitors (you!)…
- Q&A: where writers / readers ask and answer questions;
- Writing Tips: where writers / readers leave their favourite writing tips.
I shall be monitoring comments on both sites, so please leave positive / constructive feedback. Anything spiteful will be removed (or not approved in the first place).
Is there anything else that you’d like to see on these blogs? If so, let me know.
Thank you for taking part and I hope it proves useful and enjoyable to all concerned.
So, to recap, they’re:
- Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group (http://nonfictionwritinggroup.wordpress.com / http://www.facebook.com/groups/335526669896374)
- Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group (http://novelwritinggroup.wordpress.com / http://www.facebook.com/groups/508696639153189)
- Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group (http://poetrywritinggroup.wordpress.com / http://www.facebook.com/groups/388850977875934)
- Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group (http://scriptwritinggroup.wordpress.com / http://www.facebook.com/groups/319941328108017)
- Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group (http://shortstorywritinggroup.wordpress.com / http://www.facebook.com/groups/544072635605445)