Reviews & Reviewers
*** Do you do book reviews and would like to share them on this blog? If so, do email me. ***
I have opened up Wednesdays to post book reviews (click here to see the ones posted to-date), not reviews of your own books but books that you have read. The guidelines are below, and I review short stories, writing guides and crime or chick-lit novels.:
- The book title, author name/s, genre and purchase link of the book you are reviewing
- Up to 1,000-word first-person review of a book of any genre, without spoilers wherever possible (if there are spoilers, your review should put a spoiler alert at the beginning).
- Please be as constructive as possible, say why the book does / doesn’t work.
- Star rating (out of 5).
- Your name, website address, titles of your books and purchase links.
- Photograph of the book cover you are reviewing as well as optional photographs of yourself and your books (as low-resolution <200kb jpgs please) as separate files, not embedded in your text.
- Short third-person biography for yourself / your writing.
- All content has to be family-friendly please so no strong language or violence.
I only review short stories, writing guides and crime or chick-lit novels. If you’re a reviewer it may be worth seeing if they need more reviews (and if you’d be interested in reviewing my novels, do email me).
- click here for reviewers of children’s books
- click here for crime reviewers
- click here for fantasy, horror, sci-fi genres reviewers
- click here for flash fiction / short story reviewers
- click here for historical reviewers
- click here for non-fiction reviewers
- click here for reviewers of poetry
- …pages for reviewers of other genres to follow
General / multi-genre book reviews sites include (NB. unless the site has a submissions page, check that they are willing to take unsolicited submissions before sending anything)…
- 3A.M. Magazine welcome submissions of books for reviews but you have to contact the editor first.
- According to http://www.oxfordpoetry.co.uk/links.php, Ambit magazine welcomes “completely unsolicited poetry, short fiction, art and reviews”.
- http://www.armchairinterviews.com/submit-a-book-for-review.aspx (NB. read their terms & conditions first)
- Beryl Belsky welcomes submissions of novels for review on her website The Writer’s Drawer.
- http://www.booklore.co.uk is “a book review site operated by avid readers who love books”.
- bookoxygen reviews a variety of novels especially literary and is reported (by The New Writer magazine) to receive 7,000+ hits a week.
- The Book People has a list of their favourite ten: http://awfullybigblogadventure.blogspot.com, http://blbooks.blogspot.com, http://www.bookrabbit.com, http://bookreviewsformums.co.uk, http://katymoran.co.uk/book-review-blog, http://www.lovereading.co.uk (mentioned above), http://www.reform-magazine.co.uk/index.php/category/reviews (literary).
- Books à la Mode reviews at http://thestephanieloves.blogspot.com.
- Booksie (recommended by Wasi Abbas).
- http://catwisdom101.com is “always looking for the best in cat-related fiction or nonfiction to review”
- Cindy Vallar “reviews maritime piracy and Age of Sail fiction and non-fiction for children and adults”.
- https://www.compulsionreads.com/submit (they charge a fee, starting at $20).
- New (March 2014) online literary journal, Crooked/Shift, is to be published quarterly. We are dedicated to horror, humor, the absurd, and the strange, and are currently accepting works of flash fiction, short stories, prose, poetry, and essays, as well as film and book reviews. Was wondering if you could add us to the list of horror publishers. The website is: www.crooked-shift.org. Again, thanks for your time and the work that you do. Matt Rotman, Editor-in-Chief, Crooked/Shift.
- Darren Sant‘s Daz’s Short Book Reviews (short being the review not the books!) :) He especially welomes crime, sci-fi, post apocalyptic, zombie. http://www.santsrants.blogspot.co.uk
- My writing friend Helen M Hunt does book reviews on her http://bookersatz.blogspot.co.uk website but I know (because I’ve seen them!) she always has a lengthy pile to wade through.
- www.HIPliterarymagazine.wordpress.com is looking for poetry, fiction, non-fiction, plays, reviews, essays etc. Submissions to email@example.com.
- Salt Publishing’s Horizon Review reviews literature and art.
- https://www.inkspand.com/about (“crowdsource readers from your target market to provide reviews of your book”… for free)
- Jaidis Shaw now reviews books on her Juniper Grove site.
- Jessica Buike (you can read one of her reviews here)
- Julia Hughes has a list of reviewers on her website: recommended reviewers
- http://www.kindlebookreview.net/freereview.html is a network of authors who review other author’s books (mostly fictional)
- K-Trina Meador (http://www.authorkmeador.com): Although unable to provide specific reviews due to current workloads, K-Trina has offered to feature authors on online magazine The Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/books-in-austin/k-trina-meador). All she asks is that the author subscribes to the magazine and shares it with their contacts, a very fair ask I would say.
- Makeuseof.com has a great list of their top 8 book review sites which are: New York Times (listed below), Allreaders.com, Bookpage.com and Bookreporter.com. The other four are “Also worth mentioning capturing almost the same type of writing and quality Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle and The Telegraph“.
- Martha A Cheves (you can read one of her reviews here)
- Malcolm R Campbell reviews books (amongst other postings) on his Malcolm’s Round Table’s website: http://knightofswords.wordpress.com.
- Malcolm and colleagues review books on a 100%-review blog called Literary Aficionado.
- Micki Peluso (contributor to my blog) reviews best sellers on Readertoreader and The New York Journal of Books.
- Claire Pickering of Richmond Pickering recommends Midwest Book Review.
- New York Review of Books: http://www.nybooks.com
- New York Times Books: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books
- Pat Garcia‘s http://patgarciabookreviews.wordpress.com
- Phyllis Zimbler Miller invited authors who are after reviews to list them here.
- If you would like to be considered for a review from a fellow author, take a look at Philip Newey’s website. The best of the bunch (4*+) will appear on his site.
- Publishers Weekly review books but request them 3-4 months before publication. See here for mainstream publications and here (which they’ve aptly named DIY!) for self-publishing.
- Claire Pickering of Richmond Pickering recommends Reader’s Favourite.
- Australian author Stephanie Campisi runs http://www.readinasinglesitting.com.
- http://redsquarereviews.com/rsr/submit-your-project (NB. they charge $499 for a professional inc. market research evaluation of your book ahead of the review but be warned they may not then review your book!)
- Sarah Baethge at http://sarahsreadings.wordpress.com
- Scintilla Press welcomes book reviews (and submissions of fiction, non-fiction, poetry).
- http://silent-airports.blogspot.com (Carlo Kamchis hosts the book review section of Laissez Faire)
- Beryl Belsky welcomes submissions of novels for review on her website The Writer’s Drawer.
- Stormi at http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com.
- I’ll add more here as I find them.
Below, thanks to Delin Colón, is a list of some book reviewers based in the US. You can mail a copy of your book, a press release, and complete sales sheet to:
- The Wall Street Journal, Eric Gibson, Leisure & Arts Features Editor, 200 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10281
- Alternative Press Review, Columbia Alternative Library, PO Box 1446, Columbia MD 65205-1446
- American Press Service & Features Syndicate, PO Box 917, Van Nuys, CA 91408
- American Book Review Unit for Contemporary Literature, Campus Box 4241, Illinois State University, Normal, IL 61790-4241
- Book Talk JL Syndicate, 399 NW 10th Court, Boca Raton, FL 33486
- Based in Goshen, MA is http://www.featheredquill.com is a “book review site that reviews mainstream, small press and self-published books. Thank you to book reviewer / author Diane Lunsford for that.
- Kirkus Reviews, 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
- Newspaper Enterprise Association, 200 Madison Avenue, Floor 4, New York, NY 10016
- The New York Times Book Review, 229 W. 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036
- Publishers Weekly, 360 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10010
- Reader Views has reviews, interviews, videos and awards. Thanks again to book reviewer / author Diane Lunsford for that.
- Los Angeles Times Magazine, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053
- Foreword Magazine, Alex Moore, Managing Editor, 129 1/2 East Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Small Press Review, P.O. Box 100, Paradise, CA 95967
- James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief, Midwest Book Review, 278 Orchard Drive, Oregon, WI 53575 (http://www.midwestbookreview.com/get_rev.htm)
- Book Review Editor, Library Journal, 360 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10010
- Hollywood Inside Syndicate, Attn: John Austin, P.O. Box 49957, Los Angeles, CA 90049-0957 (non-fiction only)
I was going to add some from the Writer’s & Artist’s Yearbook, Writer’s Handbook and Writer’s Market but looked in their listings (under reviews and book reviewers), and there weren’t any!
You could also try listing your book with the Book Club Reading website (although there is a fee to pay).
I’ve listed the reviews of my eBooks on the Books – mine page and that is all of them, honestly, I’ve not left out any bad ones (for instance, there are two 1* for Feeding The Father on Goodreads :)). I do have a 3* for April’s Fool for being scant on detail, which made me laugh as someone else (in YouWriteOn) had said there was too much (that’s the worst review, I also have 4*s and 5*s). But that’s the great thing about writing fiction, different things please different people.